Texas and Present Location

Thought I would share a few images from a short trip to the Galveston area in Texas.

I had the opportunity to explore Anahuac NWR, Bolivar Flats Area and Brazos Bend State Park. I guess it took going all the way to Texas but I managed to find a few cooperative red-tailed hawks and a female merlin who was hesitant to fly off after catching a little snack.
The next morning I woke up to a break in the nasty weather and an incredible sunrise over the salt marshes along the Gulf. The crimson sun breaking through the clouds over the salt marshes and a handful of wildflowers was humbling.
I spent my last afternoon and morning exploring around Brazos Bend State Park, an area famous among birders for holding a trio of masked ducks for a couple of winters in the 90's. I didn't manage to spot any rare birds but did find lots of alligators, including a mother that thought I was a little close to her little ones, and some whitetail that didn't seem to mind me chasing them around trying for some portraits.

As I am sure most anyone who is reading this already knows I am now spending three months studying marine ecology in the Turks and Caicos Islands of the British West Indies. It has been a bit of a climate shock coming down here after living in Wisconsin's harsh winters or Alaska where even the summers can be a little chilly but the weather has been beautiful and I have so far managed to elude any sunburn.

The people, both students and locals, have been great as has been the food. And even though I hate to be sappy but the views have been breath taking with a perfect view of the sunset from my home at the field station.

I have been focusing on getting into the swing of being in school and tackling the alien environment of saltwater but should be working on photos more and more as the semester goes on. Hoping for some underwater shots but so far struggling with the whole taking pictures where electronics shouldn't even be going thing.

I will try to keep up to date on photos as well as using this to keep friends and family up to date. There will be more stories and more photos to share for sure. Hope you are all doing well!

Ryan

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing......always eager to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck down there. Sounds like you'll get some unique opportunities...make the most of them!

    As for Texas...I started my career at Brazos Bend, so I'll always love that place (even though it's been years). Glad you found some willing subjects!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment